Last summer, during a fabric stash rearranging, a Burda pattern fell out of some green and black polka dot rayon. What? I didn’t remember I had this pattern! It was Burda 7340, a simple (which means easy to sew) asymmetrical top. This pattern is no longer printed and if, at one time, I was going to make it out of the green and black polka dot fabric, I quickly changed my mind.
I had this piece of large graphic roses by Nicole Miller for Joanne’s for quite a while. There wasn’t much of it but that was all there was on the bolt. This fabric and pattern were made for each other, or at least I thought so.
I made this top at the end of last summer and did include it in a blog post about asymmetrical style. But, I decided because it was such an easy make, I wouldn’t do a blog post just about it. But, I now think easy is good and this top deserves its own review.
I’m a member of the Pattern Review community. This is a sewing community with a wide variety of generations and types of sewists. I especially use it to check out other sewist’s reviews of patterns, their particular outcomes with said patterns , and their opinions of the pattern and style. For some reason, I didn’t check out this Burda. I’m glad now that I didn’t because quite a few sewists had terrible experiences with this pattern, it’s end look and fit.
I absolutely love this pattern! I guess you can call this post a “redemption” review. And before I leave this section, if you are also a member of Pattern Review look me up and let’s follow each other. My name on there is TerriGardner.
Long Asymmetrical Side
A One Piece Pattern
Burda describes this top as, “a semi-fitted shirt”. That has to be one of the poorest descriptions I’ve ever read. I don’t consider this remotely a shirt. There are two versions of this top. Both have the identical asymmetrical style in the sleeve and neckline area. However the shorter version has an even hem all around. The longer tunic version has a angled hem with a slit in the long side.
I would also add in my description that it is a one piece pattern. But I have to note that there is an extension piece that needs to be attached to the pattern to complete the full length. Being one piece, this piece required at least 2 1/2 yards of fabric and it doesn’t make any difference how wide the fabric is. The pattern needs the length.
Truthfully, I was about 1/4 of a yard short and my tunic is not as long as the pattern. I wanted to use this fabric and settled for it being a bit shorter. I don’t think you can really tell, quite honestly. However, someday I would like to make it again in another outstanding art print in it full length or maybe even a little longer.
Fabric Choice Matters
The pattern calls for jersey and lightweight knits. The longer top will not drape if a lighter fabric isn’t used. The fabric itself is rayon with a small amount of spandex, which makes it silky but with a little stretch. It drapes beautifully and that is the type of fabric I think is needed for this tunic to be successful. However, it would be my guess that thinner rayon and cotton could work. I think the shorter version could be made out of a stiffer fabric.
My husband was surprised by me making something in this print. But I do love roses. We’ve just started growing them again. At this moment, we have three tea roses and four miniature roses.
On a side note, I could kick myself for not getting more Nicole Miller fabrics when Joanne’s had them back when. Those that I find on ESTY and eBay are expensive!
Making Sure It Is Large Enough to Drape Correctly
I noticed that a few others who made this thought it was too tight and just didn’t fit nicely. I think it needs to be on the larger side that the smaller and that might solve the problem. That’s all I have to say on this but feel it was an important point, especially with the longer tunic.
Sewing Techniques Used
My emphasis was to make this top as light and fluid as possible. This included very narrow serged seams and folding the hem lines only once. I was able to over only once because this type of fabric will not fray so I didn’t have to worry about it eventually looking a mess.
I also thought using a hand hem rather than machine hem would also make it lighter. Plus, I’m always looking for ways to had hand sewing to my projects.
Another way to wear this top is to tie the ends together. This does take away from the asymmetrical look, but it is another option and I do like the way it looks.
When I first made this top, I started wearing it with white. I soon decided that black complemented the pattern and color of the fabric much better. I’m being photo bombed here by Darcy who main job in life is to catch a Frisbee.
This was such a quick and easy sew. There’s a total of three straight seams and one dart.
I like its drape (got to pick the right fabric) and the fact that it does cover the upper arms to different degrees. If I found just the right fabric (large dramatic print in a great drapey fabric), I would make it again. The next time, I would get a little extra and make a longer top (almost dress length) for a little extra drama.
Even though this pattern is out of print, it can be found everywhere for sale (and at a big variety of prices). Just Google Burda 7340
I think that’s it for this top so until next time, happy sewing and take care.