Sophia’s birthday brownie is a recipe that can be found in the book Real Food For Dogs. It’s a book that I have had for a few years and I think it is one of the better cookbooks for dogs.
Recipes are vet approved and my dogs seem to really like everything they have tried. This time around, I had to make some changes to the brownie recipe. I will add my changes at the end of the post.
This is a very good book if you are looking for some options for home made dog food. I do buy regular dog food, but occasionally like to treat everyone to something special.
|This book can be found at Amazon and you can actually see some of the recipes (including the Bow-Wow Brownie
in Amazon’s preview feature.
½ cup vegetable oil (I used Canola)
1.Preheat the oven to 350’ F.
2.In a medium-sized bowl (I used my mixer) blend oil and honey thoroughly using a wooden spoon.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
4. Pour into a greased 15- by 10-inch baking sheet.
5. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. I will warn you, it is very bubbly while it is cooking.
6. Let cool, and then frost (I never do) if desired.
7. Cut into bite-size squared and store in a sealed container in the refrigerator
Optional Icing (I don’t do the icing)
12 ounces fat-free cream cheese
1. In a small mixer, blend all three ingredients.
2.Use a spatula to spread the frosting over the pan of cooled brownies.
* I found myself Sunday without any whole wheat flower. However, I had wheat germ and white rice flower. I used ¼ cup wheat germ and ¾ cup rice flour. I am now thinking about experimenting and making a gluten free brownie. I would prefer brown rice flower and will look for that next time I go shopping at my health food grocery store.
|Bow-Wow Brownies are Poodle approved.