Do you listen to podcasts? I do. I especially enjoy listening to fashion and fashion history podcasts. Charles Beckwith’s American Fashion Podcast was the first podcast that I subscribed to and still is one of my favorites.
Generally, he works and broadcasts out of New York but occasionally goes on the road. Earlier this summer there was a series from Los Angeles. The June 29th podcast was an interview with Trina Turk, who has been know for her California inspired designs since 1996.
I’ve know about Trina Turk but never seriously looked for her designs. Intrigued after listening the interview I went on a little hunt for something of hers to add to my closet.
What I found was a second loved little top that shouts “summer is here”! It has a little California vibe with a little 60s mixed in. I was also drawn to the small ruffling detail on the front.
This print has almost all the tints of the main hues of the color wheel: red, blue, green, violet with orange and yellow being combined into a yellow orange. There’s also a little bit of tan and grey. If done right, quite a few colors can be combined in a design.
The top’s fabric is silk and it was manufactured in Los Angeles. Trina mentioned in her interview that she had as many things made in LA as she could. She usually keeps to simple shapes and lets the fabric print do the important work and these simpler shaped garments can be made in LA. I feel double lucky that I found a very reasonable priced top on eBay and that it was made in the USA.
Are any of you Trina Turk fans? I really would be interested because this is my first time wearing her.
White accessories pair fabulously with this top. I have my pair of white summer cotton trousers on that I sourced two years ago from Target. This is the second time they have been on the blog, just this summer. Honestly, I will wear these until they fall apart.
I found my laser cut MAC bag by Rebecca Minkoff the first summer I was retired. I’ve worn it more this summer than ever because, well, I never get tired of this bag
There’s about 34 MAC bags on RM’s site in different textures and colors. When she has one you really like, it’s best to get it because when it’s gone it’s gone. I can tell you that this particular bag gets attention!
My pink smoking flats are Mercanti Fiorentini from DSW and again something I picked up the summer after I retired.
For fun, I’ve added a very busy and highly beaded thrifted bracelet. Finally, I have on one of my pieces from Cydney Ross. I love this young woman. She is a sculptor and Gallery Coordinator for the Belger Crane Yard Studios in Kansas City. She also makes jewelry and as I now have four of her pieces, you could say I’m a fan.
This finishes my part of this August Slow Fashion Walk.
Now it is time to have all of you share any Instagram or blog photos of anything you think is slow fashion. Here are just a few ideas: thrifted, locally made, Fair Trade, DIY, traded, borrowed and just been in your closet forever (or a least 10 years). I look forward to see what everyone been up to.
To get in the spirit of things I created a collage the wonderful slow fashionistas that linked up in July.
If you don’t follow any of these ladies, you are missing out on great inspirations. They are:
- Jodie of http://www.jtouchofstyle.com – her IG is @jtouchofstyle
- Carmen of Fashion With Compassion-her IG is @forthejoyofit
- Michelle of Shebee on the Edge and her IG is @shelbeeontheedge
- Mary of The Pouting Pensioner -her IG is @thepountingpensioner
- Patti of Not Dead Yet Style-her IG is @notdeadyetstyle
- Penny of Frugal Fashion Shopper -her IG is @frugalfashionshopper
- Leslie, a guest of http://www.jtouchofstyle.com – her IG is @jtouchofstyle
- Nicole of High Lattitude Style – her IG is @highlatitudestyle/
- Jacqui of Mummabstylish-her IG is @mummabstylish
- Ronnie of Ronnie Rambles On-her IG is @ronnierambleson
- Jess of Elegantly Dressed and Stylish-her IG is @elegantlydressedandstylish
- Kate and her IG is @Kate’s Kitch
- Michelle and her IG is @michelle_dvm99
- Charlotte of http://www.jtouchofstyle.com – her IG is @jtouchofstyle/
- AnneMarie of Mutton Years Style & I-her IG is@mutton_style
- Maggie of Thrift Shop Fashionista – her IG is @thriftshopfashionista
It’s now time to start our new Slow Fashion Walk for August. It starts today and stays open until August 31st.
To link up, Just click the blue button below and it will take you to a new page. Copy your URL, crop your photo and that is just about it.
Visit some of the other bloggers and above all else have some fun.
I link up with some great blogs every week. To see who they are go HERE.
Michael gets credit for the photos of me and editing. If you spot a mistake, it’s his fault.
Again, thanks for stopping by. Take care……..